We often land up in a situation where we want to say NO but because of the fear of hurting the other person we unwillingly say yes.
In this video, we will discuss about different ways in which you can say No to the other person keeping in view his/her sentiments.
- First learn to say “YES”. Before you say NO, you must know if saying no is appropriate for you or not. Is saying no a necessity? If it is not necessary then avoid saying no. Remember that you may need the help of this person in future.
- Ponder deeply before saying “NO”. You may lose relationships, friends when you say no to someone. Ask yourself how important is that relationship for you. Analyze how much time, energy, money, efforts would you have to invest.
- Practice saying ‘No’ for 10min for 21 days. It is said that whatever you do for 21 days in continuation, it becomes your habit. In order to make saying ‘no’ a habit, practice saying ‘no’ for 21 days before the mirror for 10 min. in different way.
- Give a sensible excuse. If you have a sensible excuse then nothing like that. Keep some excuses in your mind which can fit in every situation.
- Don’t lie. Even if you do not have a sensible excuse then please do not make your mother or father or someone ill just to escape.
- Ask for time. Tell the other person that you will revert in half an hour, an hour or a day or a week or so… Now that you have time, you can think of some good excuse. It may also happen that the other person may forget about the favour he asked for.
- Be polite yet firm. When saying No, say it very politely as it may spoil your relationships (as mentioned earlier). The other person may mind it when you say No. At the same time, your No has to be firm enough.
- Give valid reasons. If you think that saying the truth will not create any distances between the two of you and the other person will understand, then you should tell your actual reason.
- Don’t justify you “No” excessively. Justifying yourself for saying no again and again may lead the other person’s mind to think negatively. He may think that something is fishy. Just give your reason but don’t keep on justifying it.
- Don’t say YES because others say YES. Are you clapping for someone because others are also doing so? Are you voting for a particular party because others are voting for it? Do not follow the crowd. Think yourself.
- Do not get carried away with what others are doing. Beware of wrong people. Keep your mind and senses open to stay away from such people.
- Some people lay down bait before asking for a favour. With such clever people you would have to be cleverer. Be alert of people who do favour to you by doing some work and then ask you for a favour.
- Don’t accept anything for free. People generally do something for free because they expect some favour in return from you. Identify such people and be watchful. Always pay for what you are getting. This will also give you self-respect.
- Present an alternative. When you are asked for a favour, give some alternative. For example. Many people ask me to give training in companies but since I am too much tied up with other tasks, I give them an alternative. I give them my students’ phone no. who are interested in getting such platform. And ultimately this becomes a win win situation.
- Never hesitate to negotiate. For instance, someone ask you for your car for 4-5 days. You may say that you can give the car only for a day or two. So try to negotiate. This can lessen some burden on you. There would be lesser investment of time, money and energy.