Is your business unorganized? Is your business unplanned? Is your business unstructured?
If the answer to all these questions is yes, then it’s sad to say that your business still running on the traditional methods that were used in the 1970s, 80s, 90s. Even though the century has changed, but your methods of doing business are still old fashioned.
Are you following the tradition business methods?
Though there are many things to lead to the conclusion if your business is running on traditional methods but here we will be discussing 10 of these points. So, here we go:
1. There is no business website. Even if there is, it is not updated, it does not work properly or is a really cheap website. On top of that, people do not spend money on getting the SEO done. They do not understand how important SEO is to get ranked on Google and other platforms. A website without SEO is like a car without diesel/petrol. A traditional businessman does not know how much business a good website can bring. He does not realize that a website is your 24X7 employee which will give your business entire your life. People even say that they have their website on Justdial or Indiamart but you must know that it is not your website, it is just your business page on their portal.
2. You do most of the work yourself. If you are a business owner but still do most of the office work yourself, then you must learn the ways to distribute the work. On the other hand, if you have distributed the work in such a manner that you do not have any control over business, then also you must learn to distribute the work properly, how to outsource the work. Such a businessman needs business training to learn how to distribute the work and still have an upper hand in the key areas of the business.
If your business is at an early stage, you will have to invest 8 to 14 hours every day, work from home, do not keep too many employees and keep your monetary investment low but if your business is established and profitable then you need not to spend so much time, you must keep employees then.
3. You keep low salaried employees. Most of the traditional businessmen keep employees at a very low salary. Such people are generally not very talented and educated and so not very productive. It is extremely important to hire quality employees who can bring good results. You can keep a few low salary employees but not all of them should be like that.
4. You go to the office almost every day for many hours. They believe that the more they would go, the more the business would scale. But they must understand that too many cooks spoil the broth. So, you must reduce the frequency/time for which you go to the office. Going to office 4hrs everyday should be good enough. If your business is already established and profitable, you must not give to many hours. Lesser you would go, the more your business will flourish.
5. No hierarchy is followed. You have a team, you have quality employees, you are earning profits in lakhs but still everyone is coming and reporting to the business owner. Rather than discussing the issues with the next level subordinate, everyone comes to you with their problems. If this is the scenario, then it means the hierarchy is not clear. In business training, you are explained how to make and implement the hierarchy. D should report to C, C to B, B to A and A to the owner. Only the core team should report to you.
Click here to watch the video on business hierarchy.
6. You are a training house for people. People join you, get training from you and after learning everything, they go and join your competitor’s company and leave behind losses for you. This is because you are not adopting new techniques which the other person would be. Employees would stay in you company if they see new systems, new techniques.
7. You give work to the employees, not to the system. As a business owner, you train the employees how to work because of which you become dependent on them. If they take a leave or go out of office, no one else can work in their place and the whole work is hampered. Instead of training the person, you must make systems that should be followed to do various tasks. If these systems would be made, the other person would be able to take care of the tasks in the absence of a particular employee. It would be difficult to scale a business in the absence of business.
8. You do not do any work on computer. If sitting in front of a PC makes you lazy and the work in your office is still done on notebooks, registers and diaries, nothing is done online then you need to change your method urgently. You may be very good in operating mobile, doing Whatsapp and Facebook but this is not the only thing needed to scale the business. Structure yourself by bringing everything on computer.
9. You give loan. A traditional businessman would give loan to others months and months together even if he does not have enough money. He would take business loan from banks, would take term deposits, extend CC limit to give loan to others. Businesses do not work this way now. Today, if you see Flipkart, Amazon, Myntra, Uber, OLA, Swiggy, Zomato etc., they all take money either in advance or on delivery. They do not give any loan or pay later after delivery option.
10.You do not ask for MIS reports. They do not see the analytics. They do not have any data so no MIS reports are prepared. They just think that they are into this business for 20-30 years and they know everything about it. But the strange thing is that the results that MIS reports provide may give shock to them as they may differ from what their experience say. So, it is important to get the MIS reports made, analyze them, have a meeting with your team and take the decisions accordingly. This would also help to scale your business.
Give yourself points based on the above mentioned points on a scale of 1 to 5 (1 if you accept the point and 5 if your do not) and see where you and your business needs changes. If you feel that you are completely running on the traditional methods, you may go for some business training.